Monday, October 6, 2014

Art or Writing? That is the Question.

    

Am I an artist or am I a writer? This question has been kicking around in my head for years now. I have clearly devoted more time to my art, but I get a greater sense of satisfaction from my writing. It comes from a much deeper level and I feel it touches more people. My writing encourages vulnerability and honesty. The art is just fun and relaxing.

Although I don't write on my blog as frequently as I would like, I am forever writing in my head. Besides the never-ending book ideas that invade my thoughts, I am always wanting to write my thoughts down, get the voices out of my head so I can make sense of them. There are stories I want to tell. Often I see a photograph that captures my imagination. Something behind the eyes of the Japanese woman who looks so sad. An abandoned home on a desolate dirt road. The gnarled hands of a grandmother.

I have started three or four books but rarely work on them for any length of time. Is it fear? Laziness? Doubt? Maybe it is a combination of all three.

My motto for this year is "DARE". I have made two life-changing, momentous decisions this year and I have two and a half months left in 2014. I think it is time for one more big decision. Art or writing.

I'll let you know what I decide.

2 comments:

Maria Polson Veres said...

We were just talking about that this weekend. I was with a couple of talented ladies who create in both forms. I can see where it might be helpful to choose a primary form to focus on, but I hope you won't leave the other form behind completely. Your work as both a writer and an artist is all so good!

Kelli Thomas said...

Maria, I would never leave my art totally behind, but I think I am going to start concentrating on my writing more. Thanks for your kind words.

What happens when you take a break from Facebook?

Eleven days I ago I deactivated my Facebook account. The negative posts, political bashing, and idiotic memes were beginning to have an adve...