Sunday, April 7, 2013

Dream Big

This morning I watched "Super Soul Sunday" on Oprah Winfrey's network.  Pastor Joel Osteen was on discussing dreaming big and praying boldly.  It never ceases to amaze me how things come to you when you most need them.  This show was just what I needed to get over a lot of doubt and frustration I have been feeling lately.

Over the last ten years, I juggled so much that I found it hard to pursue my passions.  My stress level finally hit an all time high last fall.  I knew something had to change...drastically.  When I was offered a job teaching first grade in Vici, two hours away from my home in Edmond, I jumped at the chance.  It was terrifying leaving my comfort zone and my children.  But I saw it as a chance to live a simpler life with less stress, less noise, and less people.  The move would give me the time and energy to pursue my dreams of writing, art, and photography.

The transition to that simpler life wasn't exactly easy.  A broken pelvis one month after moving here, no home of my own, and trying to figure out how to teach first grade all led to a different kind of stress.  Three months later, my pelvis is healed, I have a home, and I feel comfortable teaching.  I am just now finding the time to work on my art.  But the last few times I have worked, I haven't felt the joy of creating because everything I have done has been, in my opinion, mediocre.  Plus, it seems as if nothing has been really taking off for me. People seem interested in my work but no one buys it.  It doesn't go further than that.

Enter doubt.  Enter negative thoughts.  Enter fear.

All of these can destroy a dream.  They can make you feel like giving up, as if there is no way you can ever achieve your dreams.  If you allow those toxins into your life, then you won't realize your dreams.  You won't know the joy of living your life fully with the gifts you have been given.

Pastor Olsteen said to "Dream big and pray boldly".  He also said that if you knew that it would take 32 closed doors to get to that open door, when you got to door number 8, you would just say to yourself, "Ok, there's one more out of the way".  I have to remember all of the amazing success stories that were paved with failures or rejection.  J.K. Rowling's first "Harry Potter" book was turned down 13 times before a publisher accepted it.  Stephen King has rejection letters pinned up above where he writes.

People lovingly make fun of me because I am a dreamer...a big dreamer.  I have been like this since I was a little girl.  My passions have remained true since then.  I always loved to draw, create, and take photographs.  Although I didn't write my stories down, I was always creating them in my head.  So now, at 46 years of age, I know that I was given these wishes and dreams for a reason.  I have the power to achieve them. I have to have the faith and conviction that I wouldn't have been given them without the power to make them come true.  

From this point on, I will no longer allow those toxic thoughts to enter my brain and take me off the path I know I was meant to follow.  Every day will be a step in the right direction.  Every action will bring me closer to the realization of my authentic self.  I will continue to dream big and pray boldly.  And I will have faith.  Lots and lots of faith.

Below is a link to the episode I watched.



http://www.oprah.com/own-supersoulsunday/blogs/This-Sunday-Pastor-Joel-Osteen-on-Dreaming-Big


3 comments:

turquoisemoon said...

Kelli - Oooh the sign of an artist! Self doubt...hahaha! Don't ever give up! We do art because we have to, we have to create. Your work is beautiful. What I'm thinking (hoping, anyway) is that the young people nowadays decorate from the box stores and/or with pics of their children (ugh) I have posted about this on my blog too... They tend to lack individuality in their decorating style. Tend to stay "safe" when decorating. Around here, KC area, if it doesn't have sunflowers or an OZ theme...it doesn't sale. Hahaha!! Have you tried Etsy? I get occasional sales from it...kind of perks me up. Just keep at it...creating makes us happy...

turquoisemoon said...

A bird doesnt sing because it has an answer , it sings because it has a song. - by Angelou, Maya.

Kelli Thomas said...

Thank you so much for your comments and encouragement. I will definitely keep at it!

What happens when you take a break from Facebook?

Eleven days I ago I deactivated my Facebook account. The negative posts, political bashing, and idiotic memes were beginning to have an adve...