Monday, August 15, 2011

Teacher Face - Day One

Today was the first day back to school for me.  No kids yet, just the traditional rah-rah meeting from our superintendent telling us what a great year we'll be having.  There were staff meetings in the afternoon and I worked in my classroom for about 20 minutes and then had to leave.

All in all it was a fairly easy day.  But I came home with the first signs of "teacher face".  You know, teacher face....my skin has a gray cast to it, my eyes look tired and bloodshot, there are dark circles forming under my eyes, and my hair looks dull and lifeless.  How is this possible?  Is it starting already? 

Normally I don't notice my teacher face until at least a couple of days into the new school year.  Quite frankly, I forget about it every summer.  During the summer I rarely wear makeup and usually look fresh and younger than my age.  I like the way I look.  But once school starts, it's a different story.  It happens every year.  One day I look in the mirror and it scares the hell out of me.  I always look at my reflection and wonder who that ragged old woman is looking back at me?  I don't recognize myself.

It always makes me wonder....is this what you are supposed to look like at the end (or even in the middle of) the day?  But over the last few weeks, after spending hours in my studio, often without breaks, I never got "teacher face".  I didn't get bags or circles under my eyes, my skin looked fresh and peachy, a smile was constantly on my face. 

Teacher face or studio face.

Haggard old woman face or fresh peachy smiling face

Makes me wonder.....

No comments:

What happens when you take a break from Facebook?

Eleven days I ago I deactivated my Facebook account. The negative posts, political bashing, and idiotic memes were beginning to have an adve...