Saturday, August 20, 2011

Taking Baby Steps


It is Saturday morning.  Yesterday was the first day of school.  For the first time in years, I didn't come home completely wiped out.  I woke up this morning around 7:00am, all on my own.  There is such a sense of peace inside me.

Since this peacefulness is such an anomaly for me, especially around the beginning of a new school year, it made me wonder.  What's different this time?  The answer came to me immediately.  I'm finally taking those baby steps....baby steps toward my dreams.

Each day I find myself doing at least one thing to nurture my creative soul.  For me, it could be writing, painting, or photography.  It could even be cooking a sumptuous meal or planting an herb garden.  Whatever it is, each of these are baby steps towards realizing the life I truly want to live.  When I envision my perfect life, these are all vividly present.

The peace also comes from being myself and knowing that others are just being who they are and there is nothing you can do to change that.  I now focus on what I want from me and don't worry about what I want from someone else.  I no longer worry that someone can't make an important decision that involves me.  It doesn't bother me anymore when someone makes the decision to say something hurtful about me. 

I know my truth.  I know what is important to me and the path my life is now on will take me exactly where I am supposed to go, even if I just take baby steps for now.  Before long, those baby steps will turn into long, graceful strides.  Soon, I'll break into a full run and the world will open up. 

Looking back, I've learned so much.  Every heartbreaking, painful, or beautiful experience has led me to right here.  And it is from right here that I take each new baby step of my incredibly fulfilling life.

3 comments:

Beth said...

That is wonderful and beautiful. Keep taking baby steps. You are awesome.

turquoisemoon said...

Happiness now!!! By being in the present and not worrying about other people, it is possible. "Not worrying about other people" is not a selfish statement. It doesn't mean that we are not concerned for their health, happiness, wellbeing...it just means that their actions, words, thoughts, etc. are not important to who we are and our happiness. Good for you Kelli...live life happy, it really is a choice.

MOM said...

You always have been and always will be AMAZING. Love you.

What happens when you take a break from Facebook?

Eleven days I ago I deactivated my Facebook account. The negative posts, political bashing, and idiotic memes were beginning to have an adve...