Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Your Life Is Speaking to You - What is it Saying?

Oprah Winfrey


Today, on the final episode of "Oprah", Oprah was reflecting on the impact her show has had and giving us all some final words of wisdom.  She spoke beautifully to her audience, reminding us all of the message she has tried to bring to us over the years.  It has always been a message of hope and self-empowerment.  One of her viewers wrote, “Oprah, watching you be yourself, makes me want to be more of myself."  That message has been one of the most powerful things I have learned from Oprah....be yourself.  And that alone is good enough.  The fact that you are you gives you the right to be worthy of anything.

She also said, "God is love.  And God is life.  And your life is always speaking to you.  First in whispers, and a whisper in your life feels like, mmm, that’s odd, or mmmm is that right?  Its subtle, those whispers and if you don’t pay attention to the whispers, it gets louder and louder and louder.  It’s like getting thumped upside the head.  If you don’t pay attention to that, it’s like getting a brick upside the head.  You don’t pay attention to that, the whole brick wall falls down." (not an exact quote, but close)

"Your life is speaking to you - what is it saying?" 

Listening to her speak, my life flashed before me.  I thought back to the many "thumps upside the head" that I ignored, then the subsequent "bricks upside the head" that I just cried about.  It has taken the whole brick wall to fall down around me to make me finally sit up and listen.  My life is screaming at me to make drastic changes, start fresh with my life, say goodbye to my past, and move on.

It's time to listen to my calling.  Oprah reminded us we are all called to do something and our real job in life is to figure out what that is and get about the business of doing it.  She said that we get a juice from doing what we are meant to do.  She said, "A calling lights you up and it lets you know that you are exactly where you are supposed to be, doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing."

I've spent so many years trying to make things work knowing deep down that no matter how much I wanted something to work, it wasn't right for me.  I am a problem solver.  I would make a good mediator I think, because I always see both sides of the story and have sympathy for both sides.  But that trait has made me stay in situations much longer than I should have and has led me to wonder what my true calling was.  I couldn't figure it out.  Nothing really gave me that "juice" Oprah talked about. 

But over the last few years, I have finally figured out what gets me juiced up.  I have finally discovered where my true passion lies.  My writing, photography, and art are my passion.  When I can communicate through my words, photos, or art, I feel truly authentic, I am me, at my best.  I feel as if everything is right in my world.  It feels natural to me. 

The connection I make with people through my creative outlets is so rewarding to me.  The comments I receive on my blog, my photos, or my art....that is my validation.  That is me knowing that you see me, that you hear me, that you get me.  We all need that validation....to know that we matter and that we've made a difference.  We all need it. 

So, as the brick wall comes crashing down around me, I am finally listening, intently.  I have made some major changes in my life, tied up some loose ends, and have a few more major changes heading my way.  I'm not disclosing everything just yet, but stay tuned for more details.  Just know this...I now know fully what my life is saying to me and I am ready.


No comments:

What happens when you take a break from Facebook?

Eleven days I ago I deactivated my Facebook account. The negative posts, political bashing, and idiotic memes were beginning to have an adve...