Monday, April 25, 2011

Apology to My Mother

A few days ago I wrote a letter to my mother.  The letter was meant to address some issues I had and to let her know that through it all I was happy for how things had gone, sorry for my behaviors and feelings, that I loved her very much, and was looking forward to connecting with her further.  Instead my letter was found to be "disturbing",  "bashing",  "disrespectul",  "hurtful",  "dishonoring". 

My intent was to celebrate the troubles we have been through individually and as mother and daughter...to draw the similarities of our lives and connect through them.  My intent was also to celebrate that through it all we are much better people, stronger and wiser.  It was to illustrate that we both know so much more now and are able to do so much more now.  Instead my words came across as derogatory towards my mother and drawing attention to myself yet again.  My words drew attention to me and my past and made it more about me than about my mother who I never intended to hurt. 

I am truly and deeply sorry for any hurt or pain that I caused my mother or those that love her.  I made a poor decision in trying to share with others what I had experienced in my life.  Clearly my communication skills are greatly lacking and until they are more finely honed, I should not be sharing something so personal with others.

Again, my most sincere apologies to my mother.  She is loved by many, including me, and a well respected member of her church and community.  She gives freely of herself to her church and others.  She is greatly admired and always there should anyone need her. 

To anyone else offended by my letter, my sincere apologies to you as well. 

Kelli Thomas

1 comment:

MOM said...

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Love you.

What happens when you take a break from Facebook?

Eleven days I ago I deactivated my Facebook account. The negative posts, political bashing, and idiotic memes were beginning to have an adve...