Sunday, January 9, 2011

Firework!!!!!

(Photo by Kelli Thomas)
Recently, Katy Perry came out with a new song, "Firework". While I liked the beat and music of the song, as usual I didn't really pay attention to the lyrics, only the chorus. Yesterday, as I drove to Geary to watch Bradley wrestle, the song came on and for the first time I heard it from the start and actually listened to the words. Wow. I was blown away. I decided that it would be my personal anthem for the year. Upon researching the song a bit, I discovered that many people feel the same way.

So many of us are feeling trapped by our circumstances. I think most of us have unrealized dreams that we bury in pursuit of just getting by, just getting to the end of the week. As someone who has been trying for years now to realize her dreams, it is so frustrating that we feel so lost in trying to find our true paths.

After teaching for fourteen years, I know with every cell of my being that I am not doing what I should be. And even though I give it all I've got, at the end of each day, I feel like a complete failure and want only to have a career in which I feel like I have a purpose and am truly serving in some way. As noble as teaching sounds, today it is a thankless career with no way to move ahead financially. You are expected to perform miracles. There are few times a day when I feel actual joy and satisfaction when I am at work.

Those times when I do feel joy, when I do feel satisfaction....those are the times when I am alone, creating. When I am writing, pouring out my heart and soul into my blog or my book, I feel at peace. When I am out with my camera in a beautiful landscape, I know I am where I am supposed to be. When I am at my drafting table drawing or painting, I am me. All of those things excite me, relax me, inspire me.

For years I have struggled with thoughts of "Am I good enough to pursue this?" I finally think I am good enough to pursue all three, just simply by being myself and putting all of myself into what I create. Over the years I have been afraid of the negative comments..."Who does she think she is, trying to write a book? What makes her think her photography is good enough to put in a book? Why does she think her artwork is so good?" Those and many other thoughts have tormented me over the years, but I finally reached the conclusion that my work IS good enough, because it comes from me and no one else. I am not trying to mimic anyone, nor am I trying to please anyone but myself. That's all I need to do.

That being said, I do have to say that it feels really good to get validation from others about your work. And sometimes you get them from people you'd never expect it from. So, Jason.....thank you. Your words about my artistic endeavors and about how much we have in common has helped me to pursue my creative passions ever more than ever before. Your work is inspiring to me as well. I'm looking forward to finding out more of what we have in common. Juleah, thank you. You were the first person to support me on this blog. Your words of encouragement and support have been so valuable to me. And thanks to my other blog friends who have made comments. You have no idea how much support from a total stranger means.

Back to "Firework". The reason I wanted to write this blog was to put the lyrics to Katy Perry's new song on here. They are truly inspirational and have a very deep meaning for me personally. I was stunned at how I identified with every part of this song. So, thank you Katy Perry for being you and sharing the very best of yourself with us.


Firework

by Katy Perry


Do you ever feel like a plastic bag

Drifting through the wind, wanting to start again?

Do you ever feel, feel so paper thin

Like a house of cards, one blow from caving in?



Do you ever feel already buried deep?

Six feet under screams, but no one seems to hear a thing.

Do you know that there's still a chance for you

'Cause there's a spark in you?



You just gotta ignite the light and let it shine

Just own the night like the 4th of July




'Cause baby, you're a firework

Come on, show 'em what you're worth

Make 'em go, oh, oh, oh

As you shoot across the sky




Baby, you're a firework

Come on, let your colors burst

Make 'em go, oh, oh, oh

You're gonna leave 'em falling down



You don't have to feel like a waste of space

You're original, cannot be replaced

If you only knew what the future holds

After a hurricane, comes a rainbow



Maybe your reason why all the doors are closed

So you could open one that leads you to the perfect road

Like a lightning bolt, your heart will blow

And when it's time, you'll know



You just gotta ignite the light and let it shine

Just own the night like the 4th of July



'Cause baby you're a firework

Come on, show 'em what you're worth

Make 'em go, oh, oh, oh

As you shoot across the sky



Baby, you're a firework

Come on, let your colors burst

Make 'em go, oh, oh, oh

You're gonna leave 'em falling down



Boom, boom, boom

Even brighter than the moon, moon, moon

It's always been inside of you, you, you

And now it's time to let it through



'Cause baby you're a firework

Come on, show 'em what you're worth

Make 'em go oh, oh, oh

As you shoot across the sky



Baby, you're a firework

Come on, let your colors burst

Make 'em go, oh, oh, oh

You're gonna leave 'em falling down



Boom, boom, boom

Even brighter than the moon, moon, moon

Boom, boom, boom

Even brighter than the moon, moon, moon








To see my photos of fireworks from Lake Tenkiller, Fourth of July, 2010, go to

photographyby kellithomas.blogspot.com - select Fireworks.











No comments:

What happens when you take a break from Facebook?

Eleven days I ago I deactivated my Facebook account. The negative posts, political bashing, and idiotic memes were beginning to have an adve...