Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Bloom Where You're Planted



"Bloom where you're planted," said Mary Engelbreit (and my mother).

I have fought against this idea for years because I didn't like where I was planted: in a verbally/emotionally abusive marriage, a stressful and unfulfilling career, a hot, humid state that held very little beauty for me. My "soil" felt toxic to me, held no nutrients, and was too dry to give me strength and stability. I felt unprotected from the harsh elements that would come to try to beat me down. It seemed as if there were no gardener to come tend to me, to pull the weeds that would grow up around me and try to suck up all the good around me.

Yet somehow, I didn't wither away. I managed to survive through the financial drought, the legal storms that battered the flowers I was so desperately trying to bloom, the lonely times where I felt undernourished in love and acceptance. Even though they are battered and bruised, my roots are still strong and deep. They continue to seek out those precious elements that will strengthen me, nourish me, help me to grow.

It is said we either have roots or wings. Although I always wanted roots, my wings have kept me from planting real roots and blooming. Flying away, far, far away, was my daily agenda. I wanted to get out of here as quickly as possible and plant roots somewhere else. Yet I found myself trapped, unsure of how to get out so I could bloom elsewhere. I tried anything I could think of to get out, but nothing worked.

At times I thought I would just wither up and die. Sometimes I didn't even care. But the dream of becoming the beautiful flower I know I am meant to be kept me going. I know it can happen. I know it will happen. I know the potential inside of me and it gives me strength.

I still want to fly away, but I've decided that maybe Mary and mom are right.....bloom where you're planted because that is the only way you can fly.

2 comments:

♥Georgie♥ said...

This was a very powerful post!

Juleah said...

That was beautifully written.....BRAVO!!!

What happens when you take a break from Facebook?

Eleven days I ago I deactivated my Facebook account. The negative posts, political bashing, and idiotic memes were beginning to have an adve...